The body of the application must be five (5) single-spaced pages or less
with standard type size of 11 to 12 points (no more than 15 characters per inch) and margins of at least 0.5 inch. Each application must contain the following items in the order outlined below:
- A summary sheet must be included as the first page of the application and have the following information:
The body of the application (maximum of 5 pages, excluding the literature cited) must include the following:
- Name, rank, section or division, and contact information of the applicant
- Monetary amount requested
- Executive summary of the project (not to exceed 250 words) including the goals and objectives and the approach to be used
- Signature of the section chief of the applicant’s academic unit (on the summary sheet). An institutional signature is not necessary.
A brief description (1 page maximum) of the potential impact of the project on medical education in pediatrics or the education community at large must be included.
The budget for the project must be included, along with justification of expenses. Monies can be used for materials (e.g., computer programs, posters, books, etc), technology support, data evaluation, and travel to present findings at a medical meeting, but not for salary support for the principal investigator.
Curriculum vitae (CV) of the applicant must be included; an abbreviated CV is acceptable.
Finally, letters of support from collaborators and a description of their role in the project must be included. These letters should appear after the applicant’s CV.
- Goals and objectives (Note: remember that this is for a 1-year project)
- Background (Note: Grounding projects in a conceptual basis such as theories of learning or evaluation frameworks is sound practice in medical education and can inform project design. For more information see Hodges & Kuper, Acad Med 2012 or consult CRIS at firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Preliminary data (if available)
- Project design, methodology, and data analysis
- Potential problem areas
- Timeline for proposed project (as a table, chart, or bulleted list indicating proposed dates for activities such as submitting an IRB, starting recruitment, collecting data, analyzing results, drafting the manuscript)
- Literature cited (include complete citations).
Printable Format of Application